StepOut - Donate

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Cakes and Crafts

Thursday night I did something that I don't have much time to do anymore - I baked! Friday was my friend Christyn's birthday, and I had volunteered to bring a cake in to work. So, I whipped this little puppy up for her (side note - I do not condone the whipping of puppies). It's a taffy apple cake, with a bit of caramel sauce drizzled over the top. I actually got the recipe online (follow link above) about 6 years ago, when I made it for a potluck at my last job. I remembered it being a nice dense sweet cake.

It got a lot of compliments on Friday when gathered to publicly embarass Christyn in the company cafe. (Christyn - the singing was NOT my idea!!!) And apparently, people were impressed by the bundt pan shape. Someone in the hall whispered that it looked like a temple as we passed by, according to one of my coworkers.

Anyway, I actually thought it was a bit too sweet. I don't remember it being that sweet, so I wonder if this means that I've been watching my diet for so long that my tastes are changing. (Though I have by no means stopped eating sweets!) I do think it could use a few more apples in it - it called for 1 1/2 C chopped apple, and it makes enough batter to fill a 10" Bundt pan to the top edge (and yes, it raises way over the top of the pan as it bakes), so I don't know how you could add apples without having to use additional pans...

Because I wasn't too impressed with the cake this time, I wondered it everyone was just saying they liked it to be nice. Why do I always doubt myself?

I also made a scarf for Christyn using a simple mesh pattern in a bulky yarn. I can't remember the yarn type now (threw the labels out when I finished), but I think it was a Patons yarn. I know that it was an acrylic/alpaca/polyester blend. And very silky to the touch. I really like how this one turned out. (Yes, I'm patting myself on the back, just a little. Someone's got to do it!)

6 comments:

Margaret said...

The cake is so pretty!

Gloria said...

Mmmm, cake. Sounds good!

David Tellez said...

I agree with everyone else...that cake does look delicious...a classic sweet with a modern twist! I think I'm gonna try that later on today!

Anonymous said...

Tami, don't be so hard on yourself!! The cake WAS delicious!!! Thank you so much for making it...and for making the beautiful scarf - I love the texture AND the color!!! You are so crafty and talented. I can't wait to wear it! You are such a sweet/awesome friend!! Thank you for making my birthday so special!!

Dagny said...

The cake looks to good to slice. And lovely scarf as well.

Fluffycat said...

that bundt pan looks awesome. i haven't made a cake in forever.