StepOut - Donate

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Culinary Creation

In my quest to both eat healthier and cook more, I have been spending more time in the kitchen.  (This has severely impacted my FaceBook gaming schedule...but has also resulted in a loss of 5 1/2 pounds so far.)

I have found some great healthy recipes and have whipped some things up on my own.  I whipped up the following concoction last week, loosely based on the memory of a recipe for a Mexican meat dish.  Naturally, I cannot remember the name of that dish, nor where I found it.  My version uses ground turkey instead of ground beef, and is very lightly seasoned for versatility. I used it as a filling for soft tacos.


For lack of a better name (or any creative abilities), I have called this:

Turkey Potato Skillet

Ingredients:

1 TBS canola oil
1 1/4lbs 99% fat free ground turkey
1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 28oz can chopped black olives

Instructions:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  Add onion and cook until it starts to become translucent.  Add potato and cook for about 2 more minutes.

Add ground turkey to pan, breaking up the meat as it cooks.  Add seasonings to pan and stir to distribute.  Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender and meat is cooked through.  Add olives to the pan and heat through before serving.

Serves 8
Serving size = 4 1/4 oz
WWPP = 4

No comments: